October 29, 2006

Sunday, 10/29

NYT 9:58
WaPo 9:55
LAT 9:12
BG 7:24
CS 4:07

(post updated at 3:00 p.m. Sunday)

Elizabeth Gorski's "Sandwich Man" puzzle in the NYT uses MR IN-BETWEEN as the spur to insert a MR in between two components of a phrase to change the meaning. Thus, [Putting up a guy in the bath?] is HOUSING MR BUBBLE. Truthfully, I didn't love this theme. It grated a bit that JOLLY MR ROGERS relies on a plural of Jolly Roger, whereas ROASTED MR PEANUT has one measly roasted peanut. And hinging the MR IN-BETWEEN theme itself and one theme entry (MY BOY MR BILL) on song lyrics rather than titles was also irksome. But maybe I'm just cranky because I'm tired and because I'm not so familiar with those lyrics. I did like how Gorski sandwiched the vertical theme entries between staggered 9- and 10-letter entries. The trickiest thing for me was EUGENIA, clued as [Saint whose feast day is December 25]; the musical notes EGBDF, clued as [Lines on a staff], also threw me. A few old-school crossword entries made an appearance; the other day we saw the fiber ISTLE, and this Sunday puzzle has INGLE for [Fireplace]. Am I the only one who isn't always sure which is which? (Similarly, distinguishing the ORIEL window from the OSIER basket-weaving material has thrown me in the past.)

Updated:

Whoo, how 'bout those Bears? I've never seen a coach of a pro team smile so much during a game. Too bad my late dad isn't here to enjoy the Bears' return to dominance.

In Patrick Blindauer's Washington Post crossword, "Yours, Truly," has an often-funny theme (SAVIOR RECEIPT! HOOSIER DADDY!) and good set of clues. The last square I filled in was the crossing of [London Philharmonic founder] Thomas BEECHAM and 19th-century composer CESAR Franck.

Manny Nosowsky follows up his Friday Wall Street Journal puzzle with a second Halloween-themed puzzle in the LA Times.

Emily Cox and Henry Rathvon's Boston Globe puzzle, "Kerr-Flooey," was available in the actual newspaper three weeks ago. (Thanks for the research, Dave!) It's got a quote from Jean Kerr.

Harvey Estes' themeless CrosSynergy crossword is laden with two 15's (crossing in the middle at a Q) and a dozen 10-letter entries.